Saint Peter’s Men’s soccer fall to Canisius, 2-1

Final 1 2 T
Canisius (6-8-1, 3-5-0 MAAC) 2 0 2
Saint Peter’s (7-7-1, 4-4-0 MAAC) 0 1 1


JERSEY CITY, N.J. – The frigid cold winds of defeat came down on Jaroschak Field, as Canisius (6-8-1) held off St. Peter’s (7-6-1) despite a last-minute comeback attempt by the Peacocks.

The Golden Griffins took home a 2-1 victory against the Peacocks in Saturday’s matchup. This was the second consecutive win for Canisius against Saint Peter’s. About 150 people showed up in attendance at yesterday’s game.

In the first half, the Golden Griffins had a two point lead, scoring both goals in the span of seven minutes and sixteen seconds. The two points tallied by Canisius were made by Thomas Teuppen and Alex De Carolis. Both goals were assisted by Golden Griffin, Chris Berardi. Tueppen scored a header shot off of a corner kick made by Berardi. Then, Bernardi came through once again with a pass of the ball to De Carolis’ head that landed right into the net. The score was 2-0 at the half.

“Unfortunately, we let ourselves down with two lapse(s) of concentration in the first half,” said Head Coach Julian Richens. “It’s very, very difficult to break teams down when you got 2-0 down.”

Saint Peter’s came back from halftime with a very persistent offense, and took a lot of shots as the clock was winding down. The game continued with a very aggressive second half, which entailed a host of collisions and injuries for both teams.

“We had a few injuries so the [players] went back for rehab,” said Richens.

Suddenly, a header was scored for Saint Peter’s by Louis Mobbs which was assisted by a serve from Andrew Romero. This was Mobbs’ sixth goal of the season.

“It was good to get a goal again…It was nice to see a movement that finally paid off,” said Mobbs.

With only thirteen minutes left in the game, the peacocks were only down by one, as they cut Canisius’ lead, 2-1.

In the final minutes of the last half, the Peacocks were determined to comeback and end the game strong. The perseverance shown by the players was able to keep the fans on the edge of their seats. They had a couple missed opportunities to tie the game. Either a close shot missed the goal from the side or a rebounded goal attempt went too high. This precipitated many gasps of excitement followed by sighs throughout the bleachers. Ultimately, the Peacocks could not defeat the Golden Griffins. The game ended 2-1.

“We started really slow…I think we’re more of a second half team. We need to convert that to the first half so we start quicker,” said by Goalie Jamie Cleland.

Saint Peter’s is now (4-4-0) in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, followed by Canisius with (3-5-1).

“Going forward we’re four and four in the MAAC, we have two games left, and the playoffs to look forward to,” said Cleland.

Up next, the peacocks will compete with the Fairfield Stags, this Wednesday at 7 p.m. This will be the team’s last away game of the year, taking place at Lessing Field, in Fairfield, Connecticut.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s